I first met Nick & Leah earlier this year when they brought Oliver into the studio for his first birthday smash cake session. I had an absolute blast getting to know them & photographing Oliver, what a happy baby!
I was so stoked when they reached out to me to photograph their engagement session. The vision was to capture them recreating their first date at the Wisconsin State fair. Nick once owned a house by the fair which he would provide parking for fairgoers on his lawn. Four years ago, Leah was one of those fairgoers who parked on Nick’s lawn. Once Nick laid eyes on Leah, he knew he had to get to know her. A couple days & a facebook friend request later, the two ended up going to the fair together for their first date & that’s how their love story began!
The first stop was Slim McGinn’s to get beer floats, yum! This was my first time ever trying one and it was pretty delicious. Leah and Nick indulged in their beer floats, reminiscing about their first date. I snapped away from the sidelines, dodging in and out of ongoing crowd of walking people.
After the beer floats were finished, we headed down Grandstand Avenue with all the carnival food & fun. We stopped along the way for photos, paying no mind to the sea of people surrounding us. It was a busy Thursday evening at the the Wisconsin State Fair!
Nick + Leah
June 11, 2022
Finally, I laid my eyes on a location with the cutest carnival aesthetics, a red & white striped stuffed pretzel cart! I instantly felt inspired, it was definitely my favorite location of the evening. Nick & Leah fit perfectly like into this scene & they were serving up some serious 1950s vibes.
Next, we arrived at Spin City and our first stop was the tilt-a-whirl, a personal favorite of mine. The ride had just begun to spin, the movement and the colors brought some fun elements to the photos! After some fun posed pictures, we headed to play some games & win some prizes!
These two had the best time hanging out at the fair. I just adored capturing their playful interactions. They find such comfort in each other & are always laughing. Not to mention, they always come with the best vibes! Working with Nick & Leah feels a lot like hanging out with old friends!
Does it get much sweeter than this!? As soon as we got to this location, we had some spare moments with no people were interfering with the shots. These images were just two cute for words!
Lastly, the perfect way to end the session was a trip to the Wonderfair Wheel! Congratulations to Nick + Leah! Your love for one another is truly inspiring. I’m so excited for your next chapter as Mr. & Mrs. 🙂 Thank you for choosing me to be a part of your journey!
Shop My Camera Bag!
- I use a thinkTank rolling camera bag to carry all of my equipment.
- I used the mirrorless Canon R to photograph this session.
- My Canon 80D is my back up DSLR.
- The newest lens in my camera bag is the Canon 70-200mm 2.8 zoom lens.
- I consider my Canon 24-70 mm 2.8 zoom lens to be my powerhouse lens. Perfect for any situation!
- Reflectors come in handy when needing some fill light.
- Every photographer should own a gray/white balance card. These help white balance and correct exposure.
- A speedlite comes in handy whenever you’re in low light or high sun situation!
- I always have extra SD cards in my bag, I prefer to use ones with high transfer speeds.
- Extra batteries for your flash are a necessity!